Friday, February 13, 2015

Formula 1's Latest Rumours and Talk: Power Boost Worries Renault, Ferrari, More


Red Bull Junior Team Signs Dean Stoneman and Callum Ilott
Andrew Hone/Getty Images
Red Bull have added two new names to their prestigious Junior Team.
The promotion of Max Verstappen and Carlos Sainz, Jr. to F1 and Alex Lynn's departure had left the programme with just one driverPierre Gasly, who will race in the GP2 series in 2015.
He will now be joined in the team by 24-year-old Dean Stoneman and 16-year-old Callum Ilott.
Stoneman, 2014's GP3 runner-up, will race for DAMS in Formula Renault 3.5 in 2015. After the announcement, he said (h/t ESPN):
To be part of the Red Bull Junior Team has been one of my life goals and it is fantastic to be given the chance. You just have to look at the names that have gone before to see that only the best drivers get into the programme.
I'm thrilled about the year ahead, to be in the DAMS team in World Series is a perfect opportunity. I obviously have all the support I need and we have a great build-up planned before the start of the season, plenty of time in the SIM before track testing starts in about eight weeks.
I'm aiming very high, Carlos [Sainz, Toro Rosso driver] came from GP3 to World Series and won with DAMS last year. I think I showed last year in GP3 what I can do so I have no reason not to jump into Renault 3.5 and do well, get on the podium early and start racking up the points.
Stoneman won the 2010 F2 championship and tested in F1 for Williams, but his career was put on hold after he was diagnosed with testicular cancer. Having beaten the disease he returned to racing in 2013, entering that year's British Porsche Carrera Cup and having two outings in GP3.
He raced in the series full-time in 2014, missing out on the title despite winning three of the final five rounds.
European KF karting champion Ilott is currently competing in the Toyota Racing Series in New Zealand. He'll race with Carlin in the European F3 championship in 2015, and said:
Being in the Red Bull Junior Team is a privilege, you just have to look at the history of the drivers that have gone before. Last season was very good for me so I was hoping for a good start in cars but I didn't imagine that I would get this opportunity.
The step up is quite something, I have a lot to learn but I have already had a very good start with a few F3 tests with Carlin and a couple of tests in a Renault 2.0 before coming out to New Zealand for the Toyota Series. There are a lot of experienced people around me to learn from and it gets better every time I go out.
This is my first open wheel race series and I am trying to learn as quickly as possible. I think it will be a good preparation for the F3. This car has less downforce and a bit less power but it is close enough to help.
The two Brits will be hoping to follow the likes of Daniel Ricciardo, Jean-Eric Vergne, Daniil Kvyat and Sebastian Vettel as successful graduates of the programme, but will face tough competition.
European F3 and FR3.5 are two of the most competitive junior formulae in the world. Stoneman's rivals will include McLaren youngster Nyck de Vries and promising fellow Brit Oliver Rowland, while Ilott will face Ferrari-backed Lance Stroll and reigning British F4 champion George Russell.

No comments:

Post a Comment